The first chapel 1453-1758

In the time of Henry VI (15th Century), Marsden was in the parishes of Huddersfield and Almondbury. Because of the distances involved for the inhabitants of the village to attend worship, a Chapel-of-Ease was built. The Chapel held 311 people and the priest was paid for by the villagers. It had fallen into decay by 1480, the people being unable to afford its upkeep, so Edward IV gave an endowment of 4 Marks, which enabled the church in Marsden to continue.

In 1691, there was a rush-bearing feast at the Chapel on St Bartholomew's Day, 24 August. This was probably an annual festival connected with the covering of the floor with fresh rushes.

In 1697, Isaac Walton, aged 24, was ordained and came to live in Clough Lea. 15 years later he was ordained a priest, and served the rest of his life in Marsden - 32 years - until his death in 1728, at the age of 56. He was a scholar who became known for his sermons, which were so long they were delivered in instalments. Both he and his wife, who died 24 Years later, were buried in the Chapel. He signed the contract with Robert France of Holmfirth in 1709, which led to the building of the village's first woollen mill.